Jump to Navigation
A Better Approach to Family Law

Ohio Visitation Rights Lawyers

Dedicated to Helping Stepparents and Other Third Parties

Whether you are a stepparent, grandparent or another relative who has developed a positive, ongoing relationship with a child, you may have concerns about your rights to visitation following a divorce. At the law firm of Brinkman & Associates, our Ohio visitation rights attorneys understand your concerns, and we will work to help ensure that your relationships with the children you care about remain intact.

Third-Party Visitation: The Rights of Non-Parents

Our Ohio family law lawyers may be able to obtain third-party visitation or companionship rights in a number of different circumstances, including:

  • When you have lived with a parent for years and have treated his or her children as your own. You may have been the only other parent they have ever known. However, when your relationship ends, you may find that you have no legal right to see the children you helped to raise.
  • After your child passes on, your son or daughter-in-law obtains custody of your grandchildren and refuses to let you see them. We will help you assert your rights.

What Are Third-Party Visitation Rights?

For purposes of visitation or parenting time, a third party is considered to be someone other than the child's natural parents. It may be a stepparent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin or someone entirely outside of the extended family. The court will focus on whether this person has a significant connection with the child and whether spending time with them would promote the best interests and welfare of the child.

If you have had a positive, ongoing relationship with the child in the past, the attorneys at Brinkman & Associates will work to persuade the court that it would be in the child's best interest to grant you visitation or companionship rights.

Grandparents' Rights

A U.S. Supreme Court ruling is often misinterpreted to mean that grandparents no longer have any right to visitation with their grandchildren. The ruling did determine that grandparents cannot request visitation with children who live in an intact family. However, if there is a divorce, or a parent has passed on, of if the children are the court system for some other reason, our lawyers can petition the court for third-party parenting time, or visitation, rights. We have extensive experience handling grandparents' rights cases.

In addition to representing stepparents, grandparents and other relatives, we also represent unmarried single people as well as couples who have entered into a domestic partnership.

Call for a Consultation With a Cincinnati Stepparent Visitation Attorney

If you are a stepparent, grandparent or otherwise have a relationship with a non-biological child and want to know more about your visitation rights, speak with us. Contact our Ohio visitation rights lawyers online or call 513-878-1437 to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your situation.


I really appreciate the way Mrs. Brinkman handles difficult situations and difficult people.  She represents me with confidence, yet always makes sure that I know what is going on and that I fully understand my options.  Her paralegal Tamara, have also answered my questions promptly and professionally; and have helped me through some tough times.

-Lisa H.

Karen Brinkman was brilliant in court; I obtained full custody of my daughter and am extremely grateful.  She made my family, my witnesses, the other professionals, and myself very comfortable by constantly educating us and keeping us informed of the law and the legal procedures.  She deserves a lot of credit for her careful wording of motions and entries and her ability to take charge of out-of-control situations.

-Dave B.

Karen and Tamara went into action on behalf of my son and granddaughter.  Their caring attitudes come through in everything they say and do.  I am sure that I will be looking to Brinkman & Associates for legal advice and for common sense answers whenever I have a family law question in the future.

-Sandy E.

I was very thankful that I had Mrs. Brinkman on my side when I went to court regarding a modification of child support that had been requested by my former husband in the Hamilton County, Ohio, Juvenile Court.  She returns my calls and responds to my emails promptly and thoroughly.

-Debbie S.

Read More >

Privacy Policy | Law Firm Marketing by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.